Prof. Ernst Neufert1954–1967
Ernst Neufert developed the concept of the building after preparatory work and after a competition with the Swiss engineers Gherzi. Neufert divided the elongated 4-storey steel skeleton construction, 180 metres long and 60 metres wide, vertically by staircases and horizontally by window bands. The brickwork of the parapets consists of yellow hard kerbstones with recessed joints. Planning began in 1954 and the first construction phase was completed in 1955. In the following years, new construction phases followed continuously and allowed the building complex to grow to 250,000 square metres.